ICCROM, Rome, Italy:
A surprise celebration was held on 6 November to commemorate the lifetime achievements of Jukka Jokilehto through the publication of a book, 'Conserving the authentic: essays in honour of Jukka Jokilehto'. This also marks the 10th volume of the ICCROM Conservation Studies series.
The creation of this volume is the result of two years of compiling information and written contributions, unbeknownst to Jukka, who was only made aware of the book’s existence at the surprise launch last Friday.
Guests included the Ambassador of Finland, H.E. Pauli Mäkelä; the Ambassador of Croatia to the Holy See, H.E. Emilio Marin, Prof Jussi Hanska, Finnish Academy in Rome; longstanding conservation colleagues in Italy; friends and family. Short presentations were made by the Director-General, as well as the book’s editors, Nicholas Stanley-Price and Joseph King.
Contributors to the volume include Jukka’s wife, Mehr Azar Soheil, Directors Emeritus of ICCROM, Paul Philppot and the late Sir Bernard Feilden, as well as 19 other colleagues and friends in the conservation field worldwide.
The publication is a recognition to Jukka Jokilehto’s contribution and dedication to the conservation profession, in developing both theory and practice. His role as a mentor and leading thinker in the field are highlighted in the volume’s contents:
- Part 1: Jukka the man: an appreciation
- Paul Philippot, Jukka – an appreciation
- Mehr Azar Soheil, Early days of the Architectural Conservation Course of the Rome Centre (ICCROM)
- Bernard Feilden, Jukka Jokilehto: an appreciation
- Guo Zhan, Jukka in China: philosophy, personality and contributions
- Joseph King, From architectural conservation to urban conservation and the World Heritage Convention: an appreciation
- Part 2: conservation of buildings
- Giovanni Carbonara, Alcune riflessioni, da parte italiana, sul restauro architettonico
- Paolo Fancelli, Il rilievo e il restauro e i loro distinti ruoli potenzialmente storiografici
- Calogero Bellanca, Conservation, restauration, restauro: brevi spigolature sulla terminologia architettonica
- Dorothy Bell, Naming the parts
- Michael Petzet, Genius loci – the spirit of monuments and sites
- Webber Ndoro and Shadreck Kirikure, Developments in the practice of heritage management in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Andrea Urland, The multiplier effect of ICCROM’s capacity-building: conservation training for professionals in Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia
- Natalia Dushkina, Historic reconstruction: prospects for heritage preservation or metamorphoses of theory?
- Loughlin Kealy, Possession
- Javier Rivera Blanco, The cathedral of León: an example of restoration in Spain during the 19th century
- Mahdi Hodjat, Conservation of conservation methods
- Part 3: authenticity and World Heritage
- Christina Cameron, The evolution of the concept of Outstanding Universal Value
- Tamás Fejérdy, Approaching 40 years old: World Heritage now and its possible future
- Joan Domicelj, Authentic? Nara revisited…
- Nobuko Inaba, Authenticity and heritage concepts: tangible and intangible - discussions in Japan
- Sílvio Zancheti, Flaviana Lira and Rosane Piccolo, Judging the authenticity of the city
- Part 4: bibliography of Jukka Jokilehto (compiled by Azar Soheil and Nicholas Stanley-Price)
An electronic copy of the publication will be made available online and a hard copy is available for sale at ICCROM bookshop for Euro 30.00
publications (at) iccrom.org